How Does a Memory Foam Mattress Work

How Does a Memory Foam Mattress Work

When you think about what your ancestors used to sleep on, you realize how far mattresses have come. A pile of leaves used to be considered a mattress. Then it went on to stuffing sacks full of wool, grass, and a variety of other things. Thank you, to whoever decided to lay that to rest! Mattresses have improved over the years, and now we have a variety of mattresses to choose from; like coil mattresses, latex mattresses, and memory foam mattresses. Memory foam mattresses are currently the most popular. Studies show that 60 percent of people in the United States own a memory foam mattress. The other 40 percent are missing a good night’s sleep.

What is Memory Foam?

Viscoelastic, more commonly known as memory foam, was first designed by NASA in the 1960’s. They used this high-tech foam in the seat cushions of their aircrafts to make them more comfortable and safer. Ever since then, memory foam has been used in a variety of different ways; shoe inserts, wheelchair coverings, and even prosthetics, just to name a few. Most commonly nowadays, memory foam is used in mattresses and pillows.

How Does a Memory Foam Mattress Work

Inside a Memory Foam Mattress

Memory foam mattresses are made up of different layers, and each plays an important part. Some people don’t like a memory foam mattress because they retain your body heat. Manufacturers have kept that in mind, and now some brands of memory foam mattresses include special gel cooling layers or an air cool layer. Your basic memory foam mattresses consist of three layers. The bottom layer usually ranges from 4-8 inches of a high-density base foam. The middle layer is typically 2-3 inches of a super soft pressure relief foam. The top layer is another 2-3-inch layer of memory foam. If you opt to purchase the cooling features, those are on top of the memory foam and are usually only 1-2 inches thick.

The high-density polyurethane foam is designed to react to heat. Your body heat causes the foam to relax and form to your body naturally. When you get up the memory foam then expands back to its original shape. Talk about minimal wear and tear! Memory foam mattresses will not sag and dip after a few years as other mattresses will. You also won’t have to worry about those annoying springs poking through and disrupting your sleep.

Memory foam mattresses are great for people who have poor circulation or chronic back pain. They are also great for heavier people because they bounce right back to their original form. Studies show that sleeping on a memory foam mattress will reduce up to 80 percent of pressure point related stress. This is great for the elderly and those of you who suffer from aching joints. When you lie down the memory foam will instantly distribute your weight evenly. This keeps strain off your spine and neck.

Since memory foam adapts to your body, it cradles you in a natural sleeping position. It helps keep your body in its natural alignment which significantly reduces strain on your neck and lower back. Memory foam mattresses are also great for those of you that may suffer from allergies. Memory foam is antimicrobial; this reduces the number of spores and mites, which are the leading cause of allergy irritation. Most allergy sufferers have to use hypoallergenic mattress toppers, but with a memory foam mattress, there is no need.

How Does a Memory Foam Mattress Work

Memory foam mattresses are also very durable. They are made of such high-quality materials that they will provide many years of great sleep. With proper care and maintenance, most high-density foam mattresses can last up to 8 to 10 years. Even low-density foam mattresses will last for about 6 years or so. Other mattresses don’t have such a long life; coil spring mattresses only last about 3 years and are nowhere near as comfortable as memory foam.

So, if you want to have a high-quality mattress and sleep like a baby, a memory foam mattress is right for you! They are well worth it, and you will finally be able to enjoy a good night’s sleep. You won’t wake up with that typical neck and back pain, and you’ll feel refreshed and energized.