- 1 Top 10 Best Bed Sheets 2016
- 1.1 Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set by ExceptionalSheets
- 1.2 Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic King
- 1.3 Sheex Original Performance Sheet
- 1.4 Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic Queen
- 1.5 Malouf 600 Thread Count Genuine Egyptian Cotton
- 1.6 Popular Bed Sheet Fabrics
- 1.7 The Importance of Thread Count
- 1.8 How Ply Affects the Feel of Sheets
- 1.9 The “Weave” of Sheets
- 1.10 Bed Sheet Characteristics
- 1.11 Sizing Sheets Properly for a Perfect Fit
- 1.12 Bed Sheet Cleaning Tips
- 1.13 Endless Color and Pattern Choices
- 1.14 Conclusion
The sheets you choose for your bed can have an effect on the quality of sleep you get each night. Even if you have a great mattress, if you have poor quality, uncomfortable sheets, you still will have a hard time getting restful sleep. For this reason, it is important to take care when choosing the bed sheets you will use for your bed.
There are many different variables that come into play when it comes to choosing a great set of bed sheets. Color, pattern, thread count and material are all factors in which set of sheets will provide the results you’re looking for. This guide will help you understand all of the different fabrics, weaves, thread counts that are available and what each of them offers.
Top 10 Best Bed Sheets 2016
Choosing the right bed sheets can be a difficult task. There are countless brands of sheets for sale these days and all of them are not created with the quality that you demand. Some sheets are simply too thin while others don’t live up to the promises made by the manufacturer. This is why we have chosen to compare 10 and review 5 of the best sheets on the market today so that you can get a better idea of what to look for. Each of these sheet sets is made of the finest materials and they all would look great on your bed. So let’s take a deeper look at them!
|Bed Sheet||Thread Count||Image|
|Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic King||1200|
|Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic Queen||1200|
|Shavel Home Products||610|
|Pinzon by Amazon||610|
Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set by ExceptionalSheets
“I purchased these sheets as a gift for my grandson’s new apartment. But after bringing them home I decided to try them on my own bed. That night I slept really well and decided to keep them for myself. But I did reorder the sheet set for my grandson and he was also very happy with them.”
This sheet set is one of the most elegant around. With its beautiful but simple white color, it will be the perfect match to any bedspread. Made from 100% Egyptian cotton this sheet set is very comfortable and very soft against the skin. Because of the materials that were chosen this sheet set will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Included in this set is a king fitted sheet with deep pockets, one king flat sheet and two king sized pillowcases. One of the best features of this set is the fact that you can wash them in your home washer and there is no need to have them dry cleaned. Just simply follow the easy care instructions on the label. These sheets have a high thread count for your comfort and will last you many years. A four-inch hem with piping is on all sheets and pillowcases adding to the elegance of the product. A sateen weave is blended into the sheet for added comfort.
Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic King
“The Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic sheet set was one of the best I have ever owned! For years I struggled with nighttime allergies but only after one night under these sheets I was allergy free. I would give this amazing product a big two thumbs up!”
This four-piece sheet set lives up to its name by being one of the softest around. Made from high-quality viscose and bamboo this set will keep you super cool in the summer. In fact, this sheet set will keep you 3 degrees cooler than traditional cotton sheets which will help you sleep much better. The bamboo is woven into the sheets and helps naturally repel odors and allergens that often cause use to lose sleep. This set comes with one king fitted sheet, one king flat sheet, and two king pillowcases. Another feature that so many people love about this set is that fact that it’s eco-friendly which helps protect the planet. This luxurious sheet set is backed by Cariloha and comes with a lifetime warranty. So if you are not 100% satisfied with this product you can simply send it back for a refund.
Sheex Original Performance Sheet
“I was given a Sheex Original Performance Sheet set for my birthday last summer and I simply love it! I used it in my summer home and man did it keep me cool while visiting. I would recommend this set to those who toss and turn at night due to night time sweating.”
Are you looking for a durable but yet comfortable sheet set for your king bed? If so the Sheex Original Performance sheet set is the perfect product for your bedroom. This amazing set comes with a king fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and two king pillowcases. The fitted sheet offers you a precision fit that will help it stay tightly secured to your mattress giving you more control. Made from a blend of 87% polyester and 13% spandex this sheet set was designed with temperature in mind. Because of its unique blend, this set allows your body to stay cooler at night during those warm summer months. In fact, the set is 50% more breathable than traditional cotton sheets giving you lots of added comfort. Smooth against the skin these sheets will surround you with the comfort that you expect.
Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic Queen
“These sheets are totally amazing! Last year I was in the market for new beds sheets and a friend of mine recommended the Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic sheet set. I was skeptical at first but boy was I happy with the level of comfort it offered me.”
Do you love soft sheets? Who doesn’t right? The Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic Queen Sheet Set offers a level of softness unmatched by many other sheets on the market. Made from bamboo this set is environmentally friendly and super comfortable at the same time. One of the best parts of owning this sheet set is the fact that you will stay much cooler at night. The bamboo material will allow your skin to breathe while still protecting you from the night time air. This same material also naturally repels allergens so that you will sleep much better. The set comes with a queen fitted sheet, a queen flat sheet, and two queen pillowcases. But of you are not happy with the comfort and quality this sheet set provides, you can return it and get a full refund. Cariloha stands behind all of their products and gives you a 100% guarantee.
Malouf 600 Thread Count Genuine Egyptian Cotton
“After winning this sheet set last winter in a charity raffle I was quite surprised at its quality. My husband who is very picky about what type of sheets he sleeps under was very happy with the Malouf set. He even suggested we buy a set for our daughter.”
The Malouf 600 Thread Count Genuine Egyptian Cotton Single Ply Bed Sheet Set is one of the best. With its high thread count, you simply can’t ask for more comfortable beddings. This king set includes a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and two large pillowcases all designed with durability in mind. The fitted sheet features a 22-inch-deep elastic pocket that will help it stay in place all night long. Beautiful satin hems add a bit of elegance to this sheet set and will look great on your king sized bed! Made from 100% genuine Egyptian cotton this set will wrap you in comfort and style. With a thread count of 600, you will never have to worry about this sheet set breaking down. Malouf has gone out of their way to design a beautiful and elegant king sheet set.
Popular Bed Sheet Fabrics
Bed sheets are made from many different types of fabrics. All of these different fabrics will feel different so it comes down to personal preference which fabric a person prefers. How a certain fabric feels is one of the most important factors someone uses in choosing a set of sheets. There are some fabrics that are more popular than others. We’ve listed the most commonly purchased below.
Most of the sheets manufactured are made from these four fabrics. The top choice, cotton, has many different variations that all feel different. It is the most popular choice for bed sheets among consumers. We’ll go over all of the different types of cotton and provide their properties so you can determine which type of cotton appeals to you the most.
- Combed cotton – Combed cotton has gone through a cleaning process that strips it of all impurities. During this process, all of the short fibers are removed as well. Combed cotton is extremely soft and smooth and feels great to the touch.
- Supima Cotton – This is another type of cotton that has a very soft feel to it. It is a durable fabric as well, making it a good choice for kids and college aged students. This high quality, long fiber cotton is produced in the United States.
- Muslin Cotton – This is the least comfortable of the cottons but the type that is most often used for kids sheets that have the characters and prints on them. These sheets feel stiff and rough even after washing and drying, although it does help relax them slightly to wash them before use. They will never have the soft feel of supima or combed but they are very durable and typically long lasting.
- Egyptian Cotton – You’ve probably heard of this type of cotton in high end hotels and other elite places. This type of cotton is the best of the best, and feels luxurious, super soft and is very high quality. This is the perfect choice for Bed and Breakfasts, guest rooms and the Master Bedroom but is not the type you would want to get for young kids.
Silk/Satin – Most people either like silk and satin sheets or they dislike them. They are very luxurious feeling but one of the biggest complaints of these fabrics is the slippery quality they have making it very easy to dislodge the corners if they are not fitted to the mattress properly. There are many benefits that using silk and satin sheets provide that consumers may not even know about.
- Hypoallergenic – If you or someone in your household suffer from allergies, silk or stain sheets may be just the route to take as they are hypoallergenic, making for much better sleep for allergy sufferers.
- Durable – Most silk sheets are made from mulberry silk which is very durable. You will have to watch for snags which can happen but over all a nice, good quality set of silk or satin sheets will last a long time.
- Reduces Heat – Another benefit to using silk and satin sheets is that they are wonderful for reducing heat in the summertime. Anyone who is lying on or under hot sheets knows how uncomfortable it can be. Silk and satin sheets reduce sweating and make sleeping in the summertime much more comfortable.
Flannel – If you are looking for the perfect sheets for keeping cozy and warm, you won’t find anything better than flannel sheets. They are not good choices for summertime as they can increase sweating. They are usually made from a combination of wool and synthetic material so beware of any wool allergies that flannel sheets would escalate. Baby sheets are often made of flannel due to the softness they have but remember that they can increase heat in the summertime as well.
The Importance of Thread Count
Anyone who has ever bought sheets has heard the term thread count. In general, the higher the thread count, the more comfortable and luxurious the sheets will feel. Thread count is determined by the number of threads that run vertically and horizontally for each square inch of the fabric.
The more threads there are running vertically and horizontally per square inch the softer these sheets will feel. The only drawback to high thread count sheets is that they tend to be much more fragile and easily ripped than lower thread counts. They will also continue to soften up the more they are washed.
For this reason, if you are purchasing sheets for your kids, you may want to look for sheets that are in the 300-900 thread count range which will be much more durable and longer lasting. You don’t want to ONLY consider thread count but it plays a large part in the feel of the sheets you choose.
How Ply Affects the Feel of Sheets
The term “ply” may not be a familiar term to the average consumer, but it determines the thickness and heaviness of your sheets. The number of fibers that are twisted together before they are woven into a sheet is the sheet’s ply. The higher ply your sheets have the heavier your sheets will be. A heavier sheet means a more durable sheet as well.
The “Weave” of Sheets
The weave of a sheet creates the textured look and feel of the sheets. Weave is created by the threads interlacing with each other. The most common weave consists of one stitch over and one under. There are a few different types of weaves that sheets are made with.
Pinpoint – With this particular kind of weave, there will be two stitches over and one under. This may not sound like much but this pinpoint weave makes the sheet nicer than a standard weave but isn’t as soft as sateen weave.
Sateen – Sateen is not another name for satin it is a type of weave. With a sateen weave, there are four stitches over and one under that gives it a glossy luster that is similar to satin sheets. Sateen weave sheets are very smooth and silky to the touch making them popular with those who are looking for a silkier sheet.
Percale – Percale is a common type of weave for sheets and one that you probably have seen on some of the sheets you’ve bought over the years. Percale weave bed sheets are closely woven and much tighter than the standard weave. It does not have a gloss to it but is very smooth and crisp, ma king it a consumer favorite.
Bed Sheet Characteristics
How sheets feel when you lay on them plays a big part in whether you continue to use them or whether you replace them with another kind. There are different characteristics that certain weaves will provide. We’ve listed the differences below so you can decide what weave to look for that will give you the feel you want as well.
Percale Weave – Sheets are lightweight, crisp and soft
Jersey Weave – These sheets feel like a soft, comfortable T-shirt
Modal Fabric – Smooth sheets with a soft feel that is really comfortable
Cotton/Poly – These crisp feeling sheets are a little stiffer than other types
Sate en Weave – Very luxurious, high end, silky feeling sheets
High Thread Count Cotton – Cool to the touch and very soft
Sizing Sheets Properly for a Perfect Fit
Mattresses come in all sizes and thicknesses. It is important to know what size your mattress is so you can get the right sheets. You will want to measure from the head of the mattress to the foot and then from one side to the other to get the overall length and height of your mattress.
It is also a good idea to measure the width of your mattress since the number one complaint most people have about the sheets they purchase is that they don’t fit down over the ends of the mattress properly and pull off during sleep.
It is not enjoyable waking up in the middle of the night with the fitted sheet pulled off and bunching up under you. Below we’ve listed the standard sizes of sheets sets for typical mattresses. You can use these as a guideline but for the best fit, still measure your own mattress and compare it to the sheets you are interested in…
King Size – A king size bed is the widest bed you can get. Another name for the King sized bed, although not as well known, is the Eastern King. It is a great size for those who co sleep with the kids or for a couple that just wants to have a lot of room.
- Pillow cases – 20” x 36-40” perfect for the long king size pillows
- Flat sheet – 108” x 102-106”
- Fitted Sheet – 78” x 80”
California King – This tends to be more popular on the west coast, but there are people all over the US who prefer the extra length that a California King provides.
- Pillow Cases – 20” x 36”-40”
- Flat sheet – 102” x 110”
- Fitted Sheet – 72” x 84”
Queen Size – A Queen Size bed is a good size for two people and is a common size used in hotel rooms and guest rooms.
- Pillow cases – 20” x 36”
- Flat Sheet – 90” x 102”-106”
- Fitted Sheet – 60” x 80”
Full Size – Two small people can fit in a full size bed but it is more comfortable for one older teen, college student or adult.
- Pillow case – 20” x 26”
- Flat Sheet – 81” x 96” x 100”
- Fitted Sheet – 54” x 75”
Twin Size – A twin size bed works for a young person and they are the size that is found in most dorm rooms. They are also what are used for children’s rooms as well.
- Pillow case- 20” x 26”
- Flat Sheet – 66” x 96”
- Fitted Sheet – 39” x 75”
XL Twin Size – Extra long twin size beds are good for college students and young adults that are taller. It is the same width as a regular twin but is longer.
- Pillow case – 20” x 26”
- Flat Sheet – 66” x 96”
- Fitted sheet – 39” x 80”
Bed Sheet Cleaning Tips
Once you have found the perfect bed sheets that feel exactly how you want them to, it is important to clean them properly so they continue to feel great. These are some of the ways you can keep your sheets clean and fresh.
- Water Temperature – Most sheet cleaning instructions say to use cold water when washing them. The danger in using hot water, even though it may feel like you’re getting them cleaner, is that it will wear out the fabric much faster. It will also fade your colors and patterns. Use a detergent for cold water as well to ensure the proper amount of cleaning.
- Put the Detergent and Water in First – When you are washing your sheets, start the water, add your detergent and then add your sheets. This prevents detergent from staining the sheets or not getting washed out completely.
- No Bleach – Extras like bleach can weaken the fabric and cause it to tear or rip and yellowing is common too. If you want to get odors out, use white distilled vinegar which will get rid of the odors and not leave the vinegar smell either.
- Change your sheets once a week. – While you can wash and reuse the same sheets each week, giving them time in between uses can extend the life of the sheets significantly. The best thing to do is get two sets and then switch between them. Each of them will only be used two weeks out of the month and that will de finitely have them last longer. Changing the sheets weekly is also healthier for you too, especially if you have allergies. Getting a clean set of sheets every week will reduce the amount of allergens in the air for you to breathe and deal with.
- Prevent wrinkled sheets – if you like your sheets to be smooth and wrinkle free you can iron them. (Some people do!) If that isn’t something you want to do, you can make sure that you pull the sheets out of the dryer as soon as they are done and fold them neatly or put them back on the bed. If the sheets are in the dryer too long and become wrinkled, re-dry for about 29 minutes with a damp washcloth or hand towel tossed in with them.
Endless Color and Pattern Choices
One of the greatest things and greatest challenges about bed sheets is the incredible array of color choices and patterns that you have to choose from. It can be a huge decision to make even if you are buying two or three sets at a time. There are solid colors, stripes, florals, character sheets, and now, some companies have 3d sheets that have images so incredibly vivid they look like they’re coming right off the bed.
With all of these choices, how do you decide on just one color or pattern? If you are choosing just one set of sheets, your work is really cut out for you since you have to choose from all of the available choices. Even if you are choosing 2 or 3 sets, it can still be a challenge.
The great thing about sheets is that they are a great, inexpensive way to totally change the look of your room. So even if you start with one design, you can get different designs later on and change looks if you choose to. Choose what appeals to you, what matches the décor of the rest of the room and what provides a soothing atmosphere for you.
When you take the time to choose a great quality set of sheets, you are making an investment in the quality of sleep you get as well. Getting a good night’s sleep is not just about getting the right mattress although that is the foundation.
The combination of a great mattress and a great, high quality set of sheets in the material you are looking for and with the right thread count and weave that will give you the feel you want, will make such a drastic difference in how well you sleep that you may never look at bed sheets the same again.
You certainly will be glad that you learned the information this guide provided. A good night’s sleep is an important way to start your day… purchase the sheets that will help you achieve that good night’s sleep every night.